Friday, March 19, 2010

How to - Vignette inside an egg

In an earlier post I said that I'd share how I created my spun cotton vignette inside a real goose egg.....and here's my little tutorial.

Starting with a collection of large goose eggs that were in need of cleaning and sterilizing by blowing out the contents and soaking in a bleach solution.

As you can see, I penciled an oval shape for the cut out.



After sacrificing and egg to breakage, I found that the tool that worked the best is a dremel with a diamond cutting tip. So I first scored on my pencil line and then went on with the cutting while holding my dremel at a slight angle.



I made my little spun cotton bunny over a mini wire armature and placed it on a small cardstock disk, which I then used tweezers to insert and glue inside the egg.



When all trimmed out with vintage posies, ric-rack,ribbon,flocking....my finished egg was immediately grabbed by a collector!

10 comments:

jasmoon-butterfly said...

wonderful, thank you for sharing x

Zan Asha said...

Hey Marie!! Great tutorial! Your goose egg bunny turned out super-cute!

concretenprimroses said...

What a charming bunny in an egg.
I'm intrigued by the way you use spun cotton.
Kathy

Designs By CK said...

Lovely Easter egg vignette piece Marie!!! WOW!!! :-))

Happy 1st day of Spring!

CK (-'

Jorge de Rojas said...

Hey Marie, how generous of you to share your technique. No wonder they snatched it up right away, I think you're onto something here. You go girl!

MarZel said...

What great ideas and well done tutorial!! I was never a good egg blower myself, so now I know why... It's better to drill!!

Thank you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By Way of Salem said...

Wonderful! Thanks for the post. Really adorable!

Ginny Diezel said...

Yeow! This is just way cool! Love it!

Designs By CK said...

Happy Easter weekend to you!

Chris :-)

XOXO