Monday, September 14, 2009

Tutorial on Creating a Halloween Tree

Recently I was having a conversation with a friend who said she doesn't buy any ornaments for Halloween because she feels that the trees are too expensive.
I thought that I could make one for little or no cost. So I'm sharing these instructions and if you need a tree, this idea might work for you.

Here's the list of supplies:

Tree branches - look around your yard or go for a walk in the park (think spooky branches)
Container - this can be a vase, bucket, tin, basket, etc. I used a green glass vase which I already had.
Floral foam, or sand - this will go into the base of the container and support the branches.
Decorative berries - these are optional, but I liked the color they added.
Fabric - anything that "speaks Halloween" to you will do....it will be used for draping the container

O.K. Step #1 is assemble your supplies.



Step #2
Arrange the branches in your container and add some decorative element. I used the berries, however some garland or even tissue paper would work.



Step #3
Create your scene. Set your tree where everyone can enjoy it. I liked these spooky Halloween gauze fabric pieces which I draped on the mirror and around my vase.



Step #4
Start filling your tree with the Halloween ornaments that you can now start collecting! You can even put lights on your tree!
My Halloween Spinners are shown here and there are still a few available on my page at SpookyTimeJingles!



I still have alot of decorating to do on this tree, but you get the idea! Now go out and look for some branches and build yourself a tree.

18 comments:

~dani~ said...

Wow great idea Marie! Very Clever! Can we put this post on our STJ blog too, to share with our collectors?

Beth Anderson said...

love this - thanks Marie

Marie Patterson Studio said...

Yes, let's get EVERYONE to have their own Halloween tree!

Zan Asha said...

Ooooh! Thanks for being so generous with this! I love the tree idea :)

Sandy said...

Beautiful! Looks like something I would pay a fortune for at a specialty shop!

DellaRae said...

Great idea...can't wait for Halloween so I can add my spinner to my tree!

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

Very cool! I made something similar (not quite as nice) but spray painted the branches black.
I think I need to make another:)

Sue said...

Excellent Marie!! Thanks for the tut!

Brandi McKenna said...

I Love this Marie! I am a big fan of using branches, too! Free and FUN!! And MUCH better than anything from a store, anyway!!!

Anonymous said...

Cool! I made a similar tree, I use it for spring ornaments too (nests, birds, bees, etc). I'd cover the white foam with black fabric though, since you can see it in the glass jar.

Aelwyn said...

What a great idea! Hallowe'en tree! Except, I'd want a BIIIIG one, like a Christmas tree.

Aelwyn
http://hedgewitchhollow.blogspot.com

Miss Gina Designs said...

Very clever tutorial! I think I could use a new Halloween tree!

Anzèle said...

I don't know what can be an "halloween tree"...I'm french! Here we don't do anithing for Halloween, we know it because of the influence of united states in the world but just with some characters like the witches...we don't know what the celebration of this day really is...your tree is a good idea...I'll made one in my garden...to celebrate..hum...the automne!
I enjoy your little word, have a good day...à bientôt!

Anzèle: www.novembrenmai.canalblog.com

Leah's Art Magic said...

Love your tree Marie!
Looks great!

Leah

~dani~ said...

Hey Tombstone Trade partners are named! Go to my blog and look in the left column for your partners name to link to them. Please say hello..swap info and see what each others style is on the blogs/sites.

Pieces to be sent out by October 7th!!

PARTNERS ARE NAMED! 8/19/09
Janell & Kristen
Dani & Linda
Marie & Jamie
Lance & Amelia
Jenny & Iva
Patty & Denise

Designs By CK said...

FUN Halloween tree Marie! '-)

Popping in to say hello & wish you a great weekend!

Chris (-:

Liz said...

You did a lovely job Marie. You are so creative I have to follow you

Lilas Conuts said...

Hello from Nouméa
That tree is a lovely idea thanks