Friday, July 31, 2009

Trash to Couture

Upcycling is taking something that is destined for the trash bin and transforming it into something of value and beauty.




One of my favorite shows on tv is the Project Runway! I remembered one of shows where the designers challenge was using trash to come up with designs for their models.

For my project, which is for the Cloth/Clay workshop group submission to Art Doll Quarterly, I wanted to use paper. The challenge was how to transform it into a sewable dress for my sculpted doll. After many trials and errors, I came up with this design. She has a collaged magazine paper bodice and the skirt is strips of magazine sewn to dryer sheets....and little extra dryer sheet for her blouse trim. She holds a banner which is also made from magazine paper.

Now if I could make this for humans to wear....that would truly be "upcycling" at it's best! LOL!


8 comments:

Designs By CK said...

Lovely dress & dollie!

Hope you have a great weekend lovely lady!

XOXO

Chris (-:

DellaRae said...

Lovely doll...are her arms cloth or are they covered with paperclay? I am making my first cloth clay doll now and like the way you haver her arms attached.

Beth Anderson said...

she is stunning with that incredible dress - what a creation - it is amazing. I love her!

yoborobo said...

Wow, Marie - she is just gorgeous! I love her dress, all the pattern and color in there. What a genius you are! I would never have thought of that. :)

Chicken Lips said...

She is absolutely lovely!

The Vintage Sister said...

What a great idea Marie! I love the dress.
Tracy

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Wow!!!!! She's wonderful!!!!

Deirdra Doan said...

your dress is really amazing...beautiful doll..